The Book that has impacted my life is Sophie's World. It made learning about Philosophy interesting and easier to understand. I tried reading books such as Plato's Republic, which was interesting, but hard to follow because it was not written in recent times. Sophie's World made me reflect on the questions of life and the world and why things happen. Several quotes that made me ponder and were well written were:
"Wisest is she who knows she does not know."
We can't know everything, many of the ideas we have accepted are true are based on theories, there are so many unknown facts about the earth.
“You can never know if a person forgives you when you wrong them. Therefore it is existentially important to you. It is a question you are intensely concerned with. Neither can you know whether a person loves you. It’s something you just have to believe or hope. But these things are more important to you than the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees. You don't think about the law of cause and effect or about modes of perception when you are in the middle of your first kiss.”
“A philosopher knows that in reality he knows very little. That is why he constantly strives to achieve true insight. Socrates was one of these rare people. He knew that he knew nothing about life and about the world. And now comes the important part: it troubled him that he knew so little.”
“The question of whether a thing is right or wrong, good or bad, must always be considered in relation to a persons needs.”
“Only philosophers embark on this perilous expedition to the outermost reaches of language and existence. Some of them fall off, but others cling on desperately and yell at the people nestling deep in the snug softness, stuffing themselves with delicious food and drink. 'Ladies and Gentlemen,' they yell, 'we are floating in space!' But none of the people down there care”
I believe that alot can be learned from the book Sophie's World. I get so excited whenever I talk about the ideas in this book, I could go on forever about it.
Thanks for your reflection in this post, Taylor...how interesting that you are into philosphical ponderings...I bet you've had some deep and meaningful conversations about these ideas.
ReplyDelete