3. I agree with that statement, that talking about bad dreams gives them too much power. I think that by acknowledging the fact that a certain dream bothers us, we are allowing it to come back into our minds and haunt us. However, I do think that when a dream is unsettling, it helps to talk about it in hopes of understanding its true meaning.
4. I read somewhere that dreams are our repressed thoughts. As children, we are raised to think that things are wrong and unacceptable in society, when we think of something that is inappropriate it becomes a repressed thought because our brain believes it is unacceptable to think this way. However, in our sleep our brain is unable to repress our thoughts and our subconscious is revealed. I've found that my dreams don't always have a literal meaning, I have to interperete them. A dream that I am ashamed of that is really gross, but whenever I go on a date with someone that I'm not really sure if I have feelings for, I have a dream that I kiss my brother. The only meaning I can think of is that I look at that person like I look at my brother, I can't have feelings for them because that would be like having feelings for my brother. The situation is always awkward but it helps me to decide if I like someone or not.
7. I am the type of person that only remembers the things that I want to remember. I think that this is a good quality to have because I do not dwell on the past. I like to live in the moment and even though I have had good and bad experiences in my life, I find it more important to focus on what is going on in the present because I don't want to miss anything.
I wish I had your ability to focus on the present and not dwell in the past...I always replay things I wish I'd done or said differently...I have had similar weird, unsettling dreams--those are the ones that seem to occupy our waking thoughts and make us wonder how in the world those kinds of things got into our subconscious, aren't they?
ReplyDelete